environment_stor

Environment

Environment

Mercury – Essential but Hazardous

Mercury (chemical symbol Hg) is a heavy metal occurring in several forms, all of which can produce toxic effects in high enough doses. It is one of the substances which is most hazardous to the human health. Older thermo-meters, some batteries, fluorescent lamps, dental amalgam and electrical products like switches etc.,
contain mercury.

Mercury is poisonous, and for humans it could affect the central nervous system and the kidneys. One teaspoon of mercury will poison a medium sized lake.Mercury is accumulated in animals, and in the human body, and it could potentially harm unborn children. In Sweden, pregnant women are advised against eating fish from fresh water lakes. According to Swedish authorities there are 50 000 lakes with a mercury level that is considered unacceptably high.

Mercury poisoning (also known as hydrargyria or mercurialism) is a disease/syndrome caused by exposure to mercury, or its compounds. The toxic effects include damage to the brain, kidney, and lungs. Mercurialism can result in several diseases, including acrodynia (pink disease), the Hunter-Russell syndrome, and the Minamata disease. Symptoms typically include sensory impairment (vision, hearing, speech), disturbed sensation, and a lack of co-ordination. The type and degree of symptoms exhibited, depend upon the individual toxin, the dose, and the method and duration of exposure.

We at MRT have dedicated ourselves in designing, and manufacturing, equipment which can isolate mercury contained in the a.m. products. As long as mercury is used in commercial products, it should be taken care of in a safe manner, and be reused. It should not be released into the environment, and the food-chain. We believe that the mercury issue can be managed by choosing the right equipment from MRT.